Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Desert living.

Hello everyone! First things first, if you have e-mailed me and I didn't respond I'm sorry! The internet is sporadic and very very slow here. I'm going to post on the Stony Brook blog tonight (which is functioning again) about all the things I have done in Nairobi and also at TBI, but for now I'll just say I really miss everyone. It's absolutely beautiful here it's the kind of landscape that you can't really imagine until you are in it. The bugs are huge, but I am coping quite well and am actually doing my first research project on camel spiders (google image them), you'll be impressed. I'm going to try to e-mail everyone back today as we have some free time before and after lunch, but our schedule is rather tight. We generally wake up at six, breakfast at 7, an excursion and class from 8 to 12:30, lunch at 1, break until 3:30 when we typically go on another outing. Dinner is served at 8 every night and we have become accustomed to swimming in the river before dinner if we get back to the compound in time. So far I have not gotten sunburned!! This is a personal triumph for me, as we are right on the equator! We all tend to pass out before 10, walking around in the sun all day can be rather tiring, also the bugs get rather adventurous at night and we would all rather be tucked away behind our mosquito nets safe from scorpions and large spiders! I'm happy to say everyone in the group is super nice and we haven't had any scuffles so far! Last night we went out after dark for a walk so our ecology professor Dino could show us how scorpions fluoresce under a black-light, it's amazing how cool nature is! The stars have fully lived up to my expectations, they are bright and beautiful and clearer than I have ever seen them before! I have been experimenting and failing completely at night photography but maybe by the end of my time here I'll be able to take a photo of them!
Love you all,
Kim

8 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you're safe and enjoying yourself! Can't wait to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim we all miss you, it sounds really awesome there, minus the creepy crawlies of course. Tom W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Glad you like it. Camel spiders aren't actually spiders. They're closer to scorpions. They're jerks though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim, You are sooooo brave those spiders are freakin huge. I would have a heart attack. That is so awesome that everything is going so good for you. We love you and miss you. Be safe and have fun. love Tracey, Minker, and Bean. xxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep looking at those stars at night....the heavens declare God's majesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those spiders are horrible, run. I am so glad you are having a great experience. Very cool that you are taking full advantage of the opportunity. I must admit I am jealous, therefore I have signed up for anthropology classes at SBU and will be seeing you shortly. Please have my super bug net in place. I tell just about everyone I speak to That I have an Anndiana Jones cousin who is in Africa. I was speaking to A SBU student who is from Nigeria, he works at the Subway in stony brook on 25a, he said that it is a beautiful place where you are. We had a detailed discussion how some places dont get to see a lot of outsiders which led to my sharing the story about the children wanting to touch your hair. I am very proud of you and we all Love and miss you. You are always in my prayers. Love you Kim. P.S. so when you decide to stay there please try to get a home with multiple bedrooms for when we visit. By the way do you know what a BYOBN party is?........................................................................................................ Thats right. Bring your own bug net party. Anyway I hope I have brought you a laugh. Love You. Tom.W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim!!! This is so awesome and such an impressive thing to do! We are sooo proud of you! We always knew you were meant for great things! Ps camel spider - yikes! <3Liz

    ReplyDelete